- Manage secrets in Git repos using Eyaml (10 Sep 2019)
Strong asymmetric encryption can keep secrets confidential even if the repository that stores them is open source
- Create a Puppetmaster using Puppet masterless (17 Aug 2019)
A simple exercise in bootstrapping the most complex config-managed server in the estate, the Puppetmaster.
- Use Puppet for templating Hiera data into configuration files (14 Aug 2019)
Maintaining infrastructure-as-code at scale requires a clear, logical and ruthlessly consistent approach to machine state. Hiera is the way.
- Multiple node definitions in puppet's site.pp (13 Aug 2019)
A single node defined in site.pp is how all vast server estates begin, but multiple node definitions allow us to build out while sharing common configuration.
- Import Hiera values into Puppet classes (13 Aug 2019)
When configuration code contains 'hard-coded' configuration values, it's much harder to maintain. Hiera allows us to break the latter out into something readable.
- String substitution in Puppet using variables (12 Aug 2019)
Variables allow us to start genericising Puppet configuration and allow us to keep things DRY (don't repeat yourself)
- Organise Puppet manifests using classes (10 Aug 2019)
Classes are to resources like folders are to your Physics revision notes.
- Getting started with Puppet, masterless (07 Aug 2019)
Getting going with Puppet can be as simple a few lines of infrastructure-as-code (IAC).
Configuration management tools allow us to build machines that are consistent. This series of posts show how we can use Puppet to achieve that.