- Tell me what you've got, what you've really really got (14 Nov 2018)
Whether you've got a web site, web service or full web business, understanding where it's at requires a clear view of where it's headed.
- Web service review and Cloud audit (Checklist)
Beyond the code, there's so much that needs to be thought about when launching and running a production-grade, scalable and extensible app or web service. Let's get specific!
- Storing Terraform state in S3 (01 Oct 2018)
Terraform is a great solo tool but, when you start working together as a team, keep the tfstate files in the Cloud (S3)
- How to go to the Cloud, well (01 Oct 2018)
Cloud might feel like a tick-box purchasing decision, but getting tangible business outcomes from a Cloud strategy is all about the people.
- Cloud starter (Training course, 1/2 day)
Inspire your team to greater heights in the Cloud.
Audience: Developers, Architects, Testers.
- Cloud framework (Roadmap)
Start simple, start with people, but aim for a holistic well-constructed Cloud.
- Zero to GraphQL (19 Jun 2018)
Much-hyped and misunderstood, GraphQL isn't for everything but it might be just right for your API.
- Sympathy for the devil (or his legacy anyway) (21 May 2018)
Legacy systems (of any type) pervade almost every one of our roles, yet they are pretty universally hated. What can we do for our tomorrow-selves to break the circle?
- Sunsetting Surfy Surveys (13 May 2018)
Without iteration and test-and-learn, we never stood a chance of commercial success, but lots of good things came from doing it all wrong.
- Doing work with a passion for excellence (06 May 2018)
As the earth hosts greater numbers of human and artificially intelligent lifeforms, excellence is becoming more than a nice-to-have.
- Spinning up AWS Lambda functions (Part 1) (22 Apr 2018)
Serverless infrastructure holds great promise but building something fast that runs fast requires planning.
- Cost of Dev-Ops Collaboration (08 Apr 2018)
Collaboration is brilliant - the only way - but managing the volatility, uncertainty, confusion and ambiguity associated with it is expensive.
- Buying software with integrity (07 Apr 2018)
The ephemeral nature of a digital download can make for murky transactions. What we need isn't a 40-page EULA, it's a clear agreement of how and how long the software will work.
- Getting Started in the DevOps space (01 Apr 2018)
The Development-Operations world is a wash with some fantastic tools, but sometimes getting started can be too great an impediment to realise the 'DevOps' efficiency promise.
- Scalability trumps speed (25 Mar 2018)
Serverless promises a world without low-level worries, but what's it like at scale?
- Help! We can't find the DevOps people. Do we already have the DevOps people? (19 Mar 2018)
With market demand for Site Reliability engineers, DevOps engineers and Service Automation engineers eclipsing supply, at what point does cross-training become the only way to keep pace with the ever-more-automated world?
- VR, wow... now what? (11 Mar 2018)
Each iteration of VR technology creates a wow factor, but the annoyances slowly suck the life out of the experience. Are we getting close to a minimum viable sustainable VR hit?
- VR for the near future (25 Feb 2018)
VR has been a tantalizingly close proposition for years but where will it land first?
- Kubernetes for a migratable future (18 Feb 2018)
Serverless function-as-a-service (like AWS Lambda) is magic, but it's hard to commit at this early stage.
Miss the old site? So do we, but fear not, the old Lightenna.com site is still preserved for posterity.